note to self: recipes to try
The Unauthorized Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Dip
- 16 oz. (or 24, it matters little) sour cream
- 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix powder
- 1 handful cilantro leaves (more or less to taste)
- 3/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices (more or less to taste)
Put the ingredients in a blender (or use a nifty hand blender) and blend until smooth. Eat immediately or, even better, chill for a few hours letting the flavors meld.
HATCH GREEN CHILI SALSA
(Yield: 11/2 quarts)
2 quarts water
1/2 pound fresh tomatillos (see cook's notes)
1/2 pound fresh serrano chili peppers (see cook's notes)
1 pound roasted Sandia green chili peppers
1/3 bunch cilantro
3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
DCook's note: Tomatillos look like small green tomatoes with a papery, round husk. To adjust the heat of the salsa, use more or fewer serrano chilies, as desired.
1. Place water in large pot and add tomatillos, serrano chilies, Sandia chilies, cilantro, garlic and onion. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Strain liquid into a container and place solid ingredients in blender. (You may have to work in batches.) Add 1/2 of the strained liquid to blender and blend until smooth.
3. Add lime juice and salt and blend 30 seconds. Chill before serving.