« Home | peacebone » | cary's advice can be quirky and quite frankly off ... » | on discovering a love of pears.... » | while playing risk.... » | yes, i've been up studying since 3AM » | Great Success! » | I cannot, for the life of me, hear the call of Being. » | flu update » | okay. next year i promise to get my flu shot. » | Manifesto, a brief section » 

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 

ethics on the mind

note to self: check out caputo's "hyperbolic justice"



-------

it is also part of my impiety that i do not accept the words of prophets literally, as if the prophets subscribed to a theory of truth as adequatio, but hyperbolically, as an excessive expression meant to sum up what is best in us and to effect justice.

(p 18, against ethics)

but then the next sentence follows:


Levinas's "infinity" is impossible for me, but it must be recalled that I do not drop things just because they are impossible; some of the most interesting and important things are impossible.